Joshua Alexander Lafazan, County Legislator – Eighteenth Legislative District
JOSHUA ALEXANDER LAFAZAN
- Lafazan, 27, of Woodbury, became Nassau County’s youngest-ever legislator when he was elected at age 23 in 2017. Lafazan is also running on the Democratic and Conservative party lines.
- Lafazan is an adviser on corporate social responsibility in the human resources department at Northwell Health in Manhasset. He is an adjunct professor teaching politics and entrepreneurship at LIU Post in Brookville.
- He was elected to the Syosset school board at age 18, a month before he graduated from Syosset High School. Lafazan has a bachelor of science degree from Cornell University in Ithaca, and a Harvard University master’s degree in education policy and management.
- Lafazan said his top legislative priority is “fighting the heroin and opioid epidemic.” Lafazan sponsored legislation that established a 24-hour hotline staffed by substance abuse counselors, and created a substance abuse assistance smartphone app.
- Lafazan, said that “every veteran who served this nation in uniform should be cared for.” In 2019 he wrote and the legislature passed the “Dignity For Our Heroes” package, which added veterans as a protected class under the Nassau County Human Rights Law and created the Nassau Commission on Ending Veteran Homelessness.
- Lafazan said public safety is a priority and he sponsored a bill that passed the legislature creating a “Blue Alert” system to help apprehend individuals who have seriously harmed law enforcement officers.